- A bushfire report must be carried out during the initial stage of buying your house and land package. This is normally organised by the builder.
- This report is mandatory and provides the builder with a rating known as BAL - Bushfire Attack Level. This is essentially the risk factor for the building and it sets the guidelines for the architect and builder.
- Depending on the location and surrounding bush, the risk can be high or low with varying degrees in between. Your house plans must comply with this report.
- For example, depending on the BAL rating your house plans may need to include gutter guards or covers for the weep holes in the bricks so embers cannot enter the building.
- This report is included with your house plans when they are lodged with Council.
All builders are aware of this report and can discuss this with you when you are planing the layout and requirements for your home.